Monday, March 14, 2011

MIA and Cake!




I took a break.  A long break.  Much longer than I had planned, but I needed to simplify my life for a bit.  Then I realize that it's been 5 MONTHS since I posted last.  Ridiculous, no?   Now I'm back!  And I have a yummy recipe.  In high school, my friends and I used to make this cake all the time.  I have no idea where we found the recipe, but I'm sure there are lots of variations out there. We had a few different names for it, but sometime after I had left home, my mom asked my brother David to "make that cake."  So now we refer to it as "David, Make That Cake."  My husband, who dislikes most baked desserts, loves this.  I think because it's kind of gooey and has the "frosting" baked right in.  And, it's super easy!
























David, Make That Cake


Cake:
1 chocolate cake mix (my personal favorite is Pillsbury's Devil Food)

Mix cake batter according to the directions on the box and pour into 9x13 cake pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup chocolate chips over cake batter.


Cream cheese mixture:

8 oz  cream cheese, softened
1 egg
1/2 cup of sugar 
1 tsp vanilla

Beat cream cheese, egg, sugar and vanilla together until smooth.  Pour over top of cake batter and chocolate chips.  Bake according to the directions on the cake mix box.  (Usually about 35 minutes @ 350*)



So yummy!  

2 comments:

Jody said...

Um remember that time we grabbed the forks, went to your basement and just pigged out until everyone else realized we were gone and came to see what we were doing? I love that cake but I definitely can't eat it in the amounts I used to!

Carolyn Howell said...

Wow! If only I had an oven, a cake mix, the other ingredients...I would make it today. But I am in a hotel, without even a microwave to pop my popcorn. (I don't think I could find one person to feel sorry for me.)

Later gator, xoxo