Friday, December 4, 2009

Paper Bag Ornaments

For at least the past 15 years, my family has had the Christmas tradition of making a new set of ornaments each year. We've made things like snowmen from tongue depressors, felt gingerbread men, ribbon angels and button wreaths. I loved that our tree, while not the "perfect-looking" tree, was chock-full of all of the decorations that we had made over the years.

It's my very favorite Christmas tradition and since my husband and I have been married, I've been able to get him to help me most years. We skipped last year because we were insanely busy (we didn't do any Christmas shopping at all until the 20th!). This year my little girl was old enough to help, too (she's 3). I love working on crafty projects with her.

This year we made these little guys. I love them and I especially loved their price tag! The only thing that I bought in order to make them was a clearance stamp set at Robert's that I'm sure I can find other uses for!
I had seen similar ornaments on a few different websites, but the ones that I liked best were HERE on Elise Blaha's blog and HERE on Design*Sponge.

First, I stamped the paper bags. After making a couple with paper bags, I decided that kraft paper would be much easier (no folds or seams to deal with). I had my little girl help me stamp. It really doesn't matter how perfect your stamping is, it looks good anyway. I used Stampin' Up's Craft Stampin' Pad in Whisper White.



After that I cut my paper into 1 inch strips.

Then I cut those strips into pieces 3.5", 4", 4.5" and 5" pieces. You could really make these any size you want, just start with a middle piece and then cut 2 pieces each in 1/2" larger increments. This is just the size that worked best on my little tree.

Then I put all of the strips together with the smallest in the center and the largest on the outside. I put a small eyelet in each end and then tied a piece of jute twine through the eyelet.

So there you have it!

I also made a few out of patterned paper that I had on hand. I think these would look awesome with two-sided paper. I attached these ones a little differently.

Instead of eyelets, I used a stapler and put a ribbon in between the papers before I stapled it. SUPER EASY!

The way the light comes through these is really pretty. I let my little girl hang them all on the tree, which meant that they are all in a bunch. When I suggested that we spread them out she said, "No, they just want to be by their friends."

1 comment:

RazakFamily said...

SOOOOOO super clever!! I am so making these with NJ :)